Skip to main content

Insurance for Vacant Buildings

By June 24, 2020June 25th, 2020Personal Insurance, Video

Many people don’t realize that homeowners policies and commercial property policies contain exclusions for certain causes of loss if the building has been vacant for a period of time.  This can cause issues when a loss arises to the vacant structure.

It is highly recommended that you contact your agent if you own a vacant property, or if you plan on leaving you property vacant for a period of time.  We often see this happen when a home owner or building owner moves to a new location and leaves their old location vacant.  If this topic is not discussed, it could very well lead to an uncovered claim.

We are typically able to endorse a policy or purchase a new policy that extends coverage for most losses to a vacant building.  Make sure you contact your agent, or us at Shelbyville Insurance, to discuss the vacancy exclusions in your policy.

Garrett Ulmer & Derek Hayden | (217) 774-2155